Community transport groups operating in Newbury and Thatcham
With the withdrawal of ReadiBus services, there are several other transport groups in Newbury and Thatcham that provide services for local residents who are unable to use public transport and need to attend medical appointments or make shopping trips.
Community transport groups operating in Newbury and Thatcham, include:
- Thatcham Volunteer Bureau: operates a car scheme for residents living in and around Thatcham - including Cold Ash, Crookham, and Woolhampton. To book call: 01635 862306 between 10am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.
- Volunteer Centre West Berkshire (VCWB): operates a Handybus and a car scheme within Newbury and the surrounding areas. They can take people to medical appointments, shopping trips and to visit relations (when COVID regulations allow)
- Contact the Car Scheme on: 01635 49004 between 10am and 1pm Monday to Friday.
- Contact the Handybus (available from mid-April) on: 01635 37111 between 9am and 1pm Monday to Thursday. For medical appointments please contact the Car Scheme.
- Contact Shopmobility (available from mid-April) on: 01635 523854 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Saturday.
Eligible residents using the Community Car Scheme or Handybus (minibus) will be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of the service. The fee would be discussed when making a booking. Where it is possible, customers are asked to give at least three days' notice prior to any journey required.
Information on all community transport schemes operating in West Berkshire, along with details on other local groups, can be found on the Council’s website https://info.westberks.gov.uk/communitytransport
To discuss this, or any specific needs you may have, please contact West Berkshire Council’s Transport Team by email: Transport@westberks.gov.uk or by phone 01635 519394.