“Newbury – the Crossroads of Southern England”
Newbury Town Council has prepared a Town Plan to focus on how the town of Newbury should respond positively and constructively to the expected challenges over the next 20 years and to inform and influence the WBC Local Area Plan 2019-2036.
The remit of the Plan and the definition of “Newbury” are not just the civil parish but the whole Newbury urban settlement area, and for that reason the three neighbouring parishes of Speen, Shaw-cum-Donnington, and Greenham have been fully involved. This remit remains distinct from the town of Thatcham.
Building on the town’s present strengths, the Plan is underlined by six strategic objectives:
- To sustain and promote the town’s architectural, historic, and environmental character and its social and cultural infrastructure;
- To sustain and enhance the quality of life available to its residents;
- To ensure that it attracts and retains a wide range of businesses as they grow and develop;
- To develop the town as a major leisure and cultural centre;
- To provide an attractive opportunity for its young people;
- To provide for the health and care requirements of its population.
The final Newbury Town Plan can be accessed here: Newbury Town Plan (PDF)