15 Jun Re-opening of Retail in Newbury
As of the 15th June, many of the town’s businesses in the retail sector will be reopening for business. For the safety of everyone, it is important that both businesses and members of the public comply with the restrictions and guidance in place.
Guidance for the public:
- Use markings on the floor to ensure correct social distancing, both inside and outside the store
- Be prepared to wait in a queue before entering a store, queue lengths will depend on the store’s popularity and the number of customers allowed in store at one time.
- Make use of the hygiene precautions in place before entering the store, this includes hand sanitiser or hand washing facilities.
- Avoid handling products while browsing if possible.
- Shop alone where possible, unless assistance is required.
- It is advised to wear a face mask. If you are travelling on public transport, wearing a face mask is now a requirement.
Guidance for Businesses:
- Make sure you understand and comply with the latest guidance for the management of queuing and social distancing outside your premises. Ensure queues don’t cause negative impact on adjacent premises or create safety issues.
- Temporary pedestrianisation of the Town Centre is in place. Please contact West Berkshire District Council directly for any vehicle access requests through the Town Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Newbury BID are supporting local businesses in their re-opening. Businesses are encouraged to contact the BID to help promote your services on their web page, and to tag @VisitNewbury in any social media
- For further guidance, please visit https://info.westberks.gov.uk/covid19-businesspack
- The Royal National Institute of Blind People has issued further guidance to help support the retail sector in their reopening to be inclusive of the blind and partially sighted community. Please see the image below and encourage good practice with your store colleagues.